Monday, May 21, 2007

Exercise

How is it that an owner of a gym still can't find time for exercise?!

The better word to use is "make" time. People come work out at my gym because they know they will be distracted with other duties at home. Well, I guess you could say the same for me. There are too many other things I want/need to do. I can't comfortably exercise knowing the schedule hasn't been made, calls need to be returned, duties need to written out, so they can become delegated duties instead of "only in my head" duties.

I WANT to exercise. I KNOW it feels better. I KNOW I only have time for 30 minutes, what I offer to my clients. So why don't I stop and do it? If all of my backed up to do list has waited this long, it can wait for 30 more minutes, right? Somehow my brain hasn't figured that out. I'll start exercising, and think of one thing then another and I just get enjoy my workout.

I've thought of finding another Curves to go to, but I'd spend to much time talking to employees/owner. I'd like to go to Yoga, but then I have schedules I need to make time for, and I can't find a studio that has convenient class times for me. Then there is 24 hour fitness again. But my late at night workouts can't happen anymore now that I've got a 2 year old daughter at home. Besides, I don't have time for more than 30 minutes. Hence, the reason for Curves.

So, how can I make time for exercise at my home away from home? I've got all the excuses in the book, like everyone else not exercising in the world. I need to come up with a way around my excuses. A way to work through the distraction of my 2nd home duties, so I can ENJOY the workout. I don't enjoy it right now. That is my problem. I don't enjoy it. How can I enjoy it.

I think if I could work out to different music, not the same stuff I've tuned out. I think if I could work out by myself, not with other people watching to see if I do it right or not. There are three times during the day to do this.

5 a.m.
1 p.m.
7 p.m.

When 1 -3 come around, my mom's waiting for answers, phone calls need to happen and I've been on my feet for 7-8 hours. Just like the folks that don't like to come in at 5 p.m. after their work day, 1 p.m. doesn't work for me. Then there is 7 p.m. I actually get a great workout at this time of night, but again, if I'm here at 7, it means I've been here since 6. So that is out.

5 a.m. it is. Wow. This is going to be tough, getting there that early. But Toby is taking Samantha each morning, so I don't need to worry about dropping her off. I'm barely awake and sucking on my coffee when I get there at 6. I need to change the way I start my day.

Getting up, washing my face and leaving is the best way for me to leave the house without getting distracted. Showers will have to happen at night, and bedhead will have to be the "In" thing. This means a haircut again!

So 4:30 a.m. is my wake up time. The coffee will brew and I'll pour a bit for me to take in a thermos. Better yet, I'll have a cup and relax for 15 minutes before driving off for the day. Perhaps I could read some inspirational material first thing in the morning. I've got to cut down on my coffee anyway. Especially the calorie laden fu fu drinks. I just fear that the longer I linger at the house, the more chance I have of waking up Samantha which is THE LAST THING I want to do in the morning.

I'll also need to eat a bit of something before exercise. Some yogurt, apple, egg, etc. And then have a breakfast prepped for after the workout. If this works out, I'll be able to workout at 5 a.m. - before anybody else can bother me! Woo Hoo!

So when do I start? This will be the thing. I tend to put off all decisions, until their perfect. I tend to put off all changes, until something else changes, and so on. Let's see if I can just simply start tomorrow.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Feels like I'm reading my own story (minus owning the gym part...lol...). I swear, I've written the same words in my journal before; analyzing my scheduling trying desperately to find time for exercise, etc. I remind myself of a book I read once, that I've got to find again. Loved it: Life is a journey, not a destination. We're supposed to learn, explore, fall, and then get back up again in exhuberant "rediscovery." All part of the package :) And I'm reminding myself of that today especially, as I hit my official "due date," patiently trying to accept the unknown of the next few days... weeks?!

Love ya, Diva!